Thursday, March 19, 2009

Pre Season Warm Up

I've been home for a week or two and given the Last Cast a mini makeover in readiness for the coming year. Of course the boat needed to be run so it was a good reason to take Kristy and Calais for a fish. We found a bunch of queenies around the bridge which were fun on light gear. A few days later Fish and I went for a look along the beaches and found good numbers of queenies smashing bait and had a ball for a couple of hours with the fly rods. I also managed a nice Giant Herring which took a stationary clouser while I was waiting to make another cast - the fish were that thick!! We also found lots of good blue salmon which were willing to eat our flies as well. Later that day a bunch of barras kept us busy eating lures and flies at the mouth of some drains. We managed a couple for dinner and both lost really nice fish as well.

Kristy on a queenie with Calais checking out the action.....


This is actually my best GH on fly to date. I used my Sage 8wt TCR with 20lb leader and a white clouser. The first run took 50m or so of backing!

No comments: